Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Never cut it as a poor man stealing.

Dear Nickelback,

Your early stuff was great. With one notable exception (read: post title). Lately though, you've slid, further and further down a slippery slope of sell-outness.

However. Mr. Chad Kroeger. You are a damn fine entertainer. I fully enjoyed the show I was dragged to last night, even against my will, and despite my best efforts to remain crabby. So thank you. Good work. Thanks for playing the early stuff, and not spending too much time aiming to injure the audience with stuff from the newest album.

However. Rockstar? Crappy song. Stop playing it.

Fondly,
Dawn

I once heard a story on the radio that Chad Kroeger was tired of not being successful and not being signed, etc, so he wrote the most pop-friendly, horrible song he could think of, just to see if they'd have some medium of success. That song was How You Remind Me. Shortly after it's release, and soar to the top of the charts, they released other songs, which are what they truly sound like. It is because of this story that I was willing to give Nickelback a chance.

6 comments:

Sherry said...

This is funny. I loved Nickelback's album 'The State' and Joe's dad hated it. Until 'Silver Side Up' came out (which I hated) then everyone was into Nickelback and so was he. When bands start writing for the radio, I lose interest. However, there are some bands that only write for the radio that I enjoy (Three Doors Down, for example).

Anonymous said...

You've described Nickelback's music perfectly. The old stuff was pretty good. If they had kept making similar music, I might have even gone to the concert last night. But the new stuff is awful. I'm glad, for your sake, that the stuck largely with the good part of their repetoire.

Anonymous said...

Some of their songs I like but they get played WAY too much on the radio then I get really sick of them really fast.

QueenieCarly said...

The State was out way earlier than anything you mentioned, Dawn. I still remember the New Music West when they were getting signed and have an independent copy of that album to this day. I have lots of Nickelback stories from around town. You should remind me to tell them to you sometime! (Coincidentally, I have an even better 3DD story. One that makes a minor mention of Chad Kroeger, but doesn't involve him.)

dawnmarie said...

I know there was earlier stuff, but I didn't know them. And How You Remind Me was really the song that put Nickelback on the map.

Hageltoast said...

ashamed to say i like how you remind me, i like their other suff too. not enough to pay to see them tho.