Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Working in a gold mine going down down down

And now I'm sure I'll get at least one rock lobster related comment.

I'm feeling almost 100% today. Things really turned around about 9:30 last night and things are looking bright today. Thanks to everyone for your well wishes, it was really an awful few days.

I did come back to a lot of work drama. They're talking about moving our unit about 8 blocks away, to an area where parking is twice as expensive and life in general would stink because we'd be farther away from the court building where we do most of our business. But, they've also opened up the telecommuting list, so there's a lot of rumbling about a portion of us going to work from home.

I'm not sure if I'd love it. Thoughts?

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I'll leave the Rock Lobster comment for T or Zeke.

Glad you're feeling better.

Re: Telecommuting: I don't know if I could do it. The setting your own hours/working in pajamas part would be appealing, but at the same time I need more structure.

Sherry said...

I worked from home for 1-1/2 years. I kept my work hours the same as if I were in the office and took breaks and lunch the same. That's the only way I could make it work. Even being that strict with myself, I loved it.

Zeke said...

I've worked from home for four months in 2005...it was awesome. The only problem was separating work/life. Oh, and the crappy AT&T cell coverage in Brookings. But totally worth it in the end.
.
.
.
.
.
Rochester! down down down

QueenieCarly said...

Evidently, I'm an idiot because I just don't get the whole Rock Lobster reference. Unless it's a joke I'm not privy to... is that it?

I'm with Rachel. As great as that would be in theory, I can hardly get my work done while I'm AT work with supervisor's all over my ass. I'd be canned in no time!

dawnmarie said...

Carly, it's really just more of quoting Rock Lobster, but somewhat an inside joke. Big song around here, Rock Lobster is.

AS for work from home, I don't have a supervisor at work, just Jim, who doesn't so much bust my bum as distract me from getting anything done at all.

Like the guy a lot though.

thisisbeth said...

I'm glad you're feeling better!

I don't know if I could work from home; I'd have to structure my time, for sure. But I'd like to try it!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it working in the coal mine?

Telecommuting is great but you can lose all social aspects of your job and miss information that might be important for your work.

Sarah said...

yeah, it sounds like it would be fun for about a week.

then i'd get bored of having no one to go to lunch with.