Monday, March 26, 2007

He's going the distance. He's going for speed.

This weekend was fun filled. Nick's parents were in town and Sunday afternoon was a bridal shower for Carrie. Who is already married, but we just changed things up a bit.

Sunday morning, I woke up, and layed around for a bit, waiting for nick and his parents to wake up. We rolled out of bed around 9:00, I cleaned my kitchen and everyone else got ready for the day. JoAnna arrived around 10:00 with all the groceries for food and stuff. She started wrapping presents for the dice game and I got to work on the food. We popped the cake in the oven.

Nick and his parents left to do some shopping around 11:00, after Nick stole cheese from my preparations. :glare: Around 11:30/12:00, JoAnna headed to Walgreen's to pick up beverages and I was frosting the cake.

The suicidal cake.

I swear to you, it was not my fault. There I was, putting a crumb layer of frosting on the cake, turning the cake plate with one hand, layering frosting on with the other (actually with a spatula, but you get the idea) I was puttering along nicely when all of a sudden, the cake LEAPT off the cake plate onto the counter. It was reminescent of Thelma and Louise.

The cake landed face down on a regular plate. "I can fix this!" I thought. I carefully placed the cake plate on the bottom of the cake, and flipped the entire thing over. There the cake was, in all it's glory, a little mussed in the frostal areas, but overall, it had been rescued. Then, before my eyes, the cake split. Right down the middle. It was the San Andreas Fault Line of cakes. The top half of the left side slid right off the cake plate back to the counter.

I stood for a minute, mourning. I calmly picked up the phone and called my mother. I asked her if she would be so kind as to stop at her local cub and pick up a cake. Undecorated was fine, yes, we can just write on it when it arrives.

I hung up the phone and turned back to the disaster on the counter. I grabbed a turner and shoveled the cake into a tin that Toni had given me Christmas cookies in. When JoAnna came back she and I grabbed forks and had ourselves a little chocolate snack. Carrie arrived early and had the same idea. As did my mom.

The rest of the afternoon went smoothly, the guests were mostly friends from high school and the stories told made JoAnna quite glad she wasn't friends with us when we were in high school. My mom was there, as well as Peggy, the mother of one of our high school friends. I'm quite gald these girls are back in my life, and Peggy commented at one point "It's like they've never been apart." And it is. We have just as much fun as adults as we did as teenagers.

And I have a tinful of chocolate cake.

8 comments:

Nerdine said...

*grabs a fork*

now where's the milk??

still in blogging hibernation, but just stopped by to see how you're doing. The cake is perfect... :)

Sarah said...

i love that song. and i love cake. good work.

cake, the band, you know. you know.

Anonymous said...

That cake was sooo good! You guys however, were sooooooooo bad!

lauren said...

I like that you used Cake song lyrics for a song about cakes. Yay irony! Yay chocolate! And yay old friends!

theresa said...

mmm...cake in a tin.

dawnmarie said...

I'm telling you, this cake in a tin thing could be very marketable. This stuff stays not dry for days.

Zeke said...

Mmmm, cake in a can

dawnmarie said...

ZEKE!