Friday, March 23, 2007

Oh, the places you'll go.

Where do you want to go? If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

Me, I love camping. When I was 16 years old, I spent a summer working in Yosemite National Park. Two of the weeks I was there, we lived in the back country. Horizon Ridge, it was called. The general public isn't allowed in the Horizon Ridge area, we were employees, and we were doing fireline rehabilitation, so we were allowed back there. We dug holes in the ground for our coolers, we lived in tents, we "showered" in the creek using biodegradable soaps. It was lovely. I'd love to go back there.

I'd also love to go back to Brasil. The first time I ever saw an ocean was in Brasil. (I'd seen San Fransisco Bay, but that doesn't do an ocean justice).

But as for places I've never been that I want to see, the list is long, I had to narrow it down. I gave myself a limit of 5.

Greece - It would be cool to see all the history of Athens and such, but what I'd really like is to go to one of the smaller islands for a month and live like a native. Mmm. Olive oil.

Antarctica - My love of penguins is well known. I can only imagine the majestic beauty of a land of unremitting ice. I'll need new mittens though.

Italy - When I was in junior high, I decided I wanted to live in Italy. I picked Italy because all my friends were in love with France, and I wanted to be different. Luckily, thanks to Toni, this just might come true, not living, but a visit is most definately in order.

Mexico - I've never been to Mexico! With my love of tequila and a good margarita, I know this is hard to believe, but I've never been.

Canada - I lived in Fargo, ND for 6 years. Manitoba was just 3 hours away. Did I ever go? Nope. Tried to once, but customs just wouldn't let- I mean, a snowstorm wouldn't let us make the trip. I hear Vancouver is lovely...

United Kingdom - Is it cheating to put it all as one? I have a limit here, people. I have a friend who lives in Wakefield, England, and besides wanting to visit her, I just like fog? No, that's not quite right... I just want to go, ok?

Prague - What? That's 6. I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about. I counted on my toes. So I have an extra one, it's not cheating. . . My cousin and her mother went to Prague, and the pictures she brought back made me want to view all that history and beauty for myself.

What are your top 5 6 places (you've never been)?

10 comments:

Hageltoast said...

oh that's a toughie. Anywhere? Maybe Japan, i'd love to visit tokyo and Kyoto, obv for very diff reasons, and the mountains near hiroshima, they are meant to be sooo beautiful.

Anonymous said...

China!
Ireland!
Scotland!
braZil-not really but you spelled it wrong.hee
Canada!
Prauge!
Germany!
Greece!
Italy!
just to start with.

Anonymous said...

oops I spelled prague wrong. Hee.

Sarah said...

tahiti
china
israel
japan
belgium

dawnmarie said...

Jo, you're over your limit of 6.

And I didn't spell Brasil wrong, Americans do.

Sherry said...

1. Japan. I have a girlfriend who lives there. I haven't seen her for 9 years.

2. Scotland. Maybe I could find me a hot Highlander. Preferable not immortal.

3. New York. It's not a foreign country, but to this SD girl it may as well be.

4. China. I'll probably be going for work (if my VISA ever gets approved) and hopefully will squeeze some sightseeing in.

5. Germany. Also a work trip. Probably next year.

UnionMan1864 said...

1. Spain
2. Germany
3. Russia
4. Austria
5. Poland
6. Czech Republic

Courtney said...

Oooh, Greece is at the top of my list. I've always had a fascination with Greek and Roman history/mythology. So Italy ranks up there, too.

I want to go to France- hearing Carly rave about it only intensified that desire!

And yes, Vancouver really is quite lovely. :)

thisisbeth said...

Australia
Antarctica
England
France
Iceland

That's my list as of this moment. There are a lot of countries where there are invidual things/places I'd like to see, but it's hard to list the whole country.

Laura said...

#1 is also Greece for me.
#2 - New Zealand
#3 - Ireland
#4 - Scotland
#5 - Belize
#6 - China