Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing?

It has been ten years since I graduated from high school. This August, I will drag Nick to downtown Minneapolis, to the Marriot to wander around a room full of 515 people, and assorted spouses, many of whom I never knew. Why am I doing this? I'm not entirely sure. Partially because these people (down there) have convinced me it will be fun.

L-r: Carrie, Morgan, Dawn, Sara (blue), Maureen (back) Sarah, Angie

Last July, my friend Carrie's grandmother passed away. Carrie's grandparents raised her, and they were a part of our lives as a result. Maureen and angie both came to Lois's funeral to pay their respects. A few months later, Carrie, Maureen, Angie and I staarted getting together for lunches, and a wedding shower. Last night, our friend Alison (not pictured) was in town from New Hampshire/Texas, long story, and so Mo, Angie and I joined her for dinner in Maple Grove. Next Sunday, Maureen, Carrie, Angie, our friend John, and their spouses are all coming to my place for dinner.

The thing that amazes me about my renewed relationships with these people, is how our friendships have picked up. We don't spend all or most of our time reminiscing about high school, which in this situation, would be easy to do. We're all in very different places from the last time we were together. Marriages, kids, careers, all leaps and bounds from where we left off. But we've adapted. We talk about our lives now, and it's like we were never apart.

4 comments:

Toni said...

That's really cool! I love this.

Sarah said...

10 years?! :points and laughs:

oh, wait. what? nevermind.

dawnmarie said...

In even weirder news, I ran into someone today from elementary school/junior high. In court.

QueenieCarly said...

That's damn cool, Dawn. I got in touch with a former class mate at my reunion and we're great friends now. We don't have a lot of way back when stories, but it's fun to have a friend from that time.